Sunday, April 11, 2010

Weekend List.


Friday night we had new friends over for dinner - both vegetarians, which gave me a chance to try some new recipes from books I picked up in London last year at Books for Cooks.

1) Carrot, Honey & Ginger Soup, from Favourite Recipes from Books 1,2 & 3, adapted from Tessa Bramley's now out of print, The Instinctive Cook.
2) Spiced Swish Chard with Butter Beans and Couscous (with golden raisins and pine nuts), from Maria Elia's, The Modern Vegetarian. Served with Slow Roasted Tomatoes from the same book.  (Tomatoes are not in season yet, I know.)
3) Pizza from local Gialinas. Just a few cheesy slices to serve as the flatbread side.

My work schedule would not allow time to cook on Friday so I cooked everything except the couscous on Thursday night. 

All recipes were a success!

Sitting overnight, I think, helped the dishes' flavors stew. The butter beans in the chard took on the smokey paprika flavor giving them a meaty quality. And the soup! The honey gives the carrots a sweet roundness without imparting a honey taste.

T picked up the pizza "flat bread"  and we were ready to serve at 7 on the dot. We had a great time. Our guests kept us laughing all night and it was fun to show them around our ongoing home renovation project. Such a fun night.

Because I'm unclear on copyright issues I have to forgo printing recipes. And I didn't take any photos so this is it - an unsexy text-only post. :) 

No comments: